Friday 26 June 2009

Bench(es) of the Week: Abstractions!

Since participating in Bench of the Week each Friday, I've starting actually looking at benches instead of just sitting on them occasionally! I noticed this group of benches in the University of Durham Botanic Garden. Despite having sat on them on numerous occasions I had never realised that they are nearly all different!

This is my favourite. I love the 'stressed' effect! The timbers are also quite rounded at the edges.

On this bench the timbers are more angular, and the 'stressed' effect subtly different.


I took a close-up of the timber and found the texture and colours fascinating. I like the way they contrast with the out-of-focus pebbles behind the bench.


On this paler bench the grain of the wood is so very different from the previous !


I experimented with focussing on the background pebbles instead of the wood, which to me gives the effect of the pebbles seeming to be in front of the timber!




On this shot I was interested in the texture and the way the grain of the wood runs at a different angle to the cut of the timber.



This final shot is my favourite! It is of the seating timbers, showing the greenish algae(?) covering on the paving slabs under the bench. There are little wavy lines where I presume snails have been wandering around! I love the contrast in colours and the angular lines of the grain of the wood versus the wiggly lines on the stone!
*
I was inspired to look at abstractions by a photo of roofing tiles on DianeC's blog Sabino Canyon: the post was some days ago and you can see it here.
*
'Bench of the Week' was started by RuneE of Visual Norway. Other participants include Barbara Martin, PERBS, Malyss, Ackworth Born and Pacey - do visit their blogs to see their Bench of the Week on Fridays!






20 comments:

Unknown said...

They are all interesting shots. I also love your favorite bench, and the abstractions you've shown us. :) Great shots.

Phoenix C. said...

Thank you Pacey! Glad you've enjoyed them.

PERBS said...

What a neat perspective on those benches this week! Very intriguing! I am so glad others are taking an interest in benches. . . Malyss and I have been doing it for so long. It is neat to view more benches from far and wide.

Thanks for stopping by.

Prospero said...

I'm also a big fan of aged wood and all the textures that weather-enhanced planks offer. The snail observation was interesting (and probably correct). I'm also with you in preferring the first bench.

Phoenix C. said...

Glad you are enjoying my benches, PERBS! There are so many benches around here that there is no shortage to photograph!

Phoenix C. said...

Thank you Prospero. I wonder if snails actually eat the green stuff on the stone!

Barbara Martin said...

I love your favourite bench, and the way you showed the different textures of the wood. Sometimes the things we see daily we take for granted until we look at them in a different light: as you have with the benches in the garden.

Phoenix C. said...

Thank you Barbara. As you say, it is interesting to look at things in a different light - it's amazing what is there in everyday things!

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Also love the contrast of wood and gravel, as well as the macros of wood grain. I forgot to post my concrete bench for Bench of the Week--I'm not good at having the right idea at the right time, but maybe next week!

Rune Eide said...

I enjoyed this post enormously. What you have written was typical for me to: Benches was for sitting . Period. Then I, as you have done here, discovered that there was much more to it: Details, background, history, context. An endless amount of perspectives.

Those close-ups caught my fancy this time - just one way of showing interesting details.

Phoenix C. said...

Thank you Monica. Hope to see your concrete bench next week!

Phoenix C. said...

Thank you RuneE - I'm really pleased you enjoyed my post! It's amazing what a huge topic benches create. And how many there are around!

Malyss said...

I'm was very interested by the study you made about the different textures and "points of view";And I found funny that you re-discovered benches after having sit on them without "seeing" them.. Yes, benches are a great source of inspiration for a photograph: after having found more than 400 of them, I'm still more and more looking for them everywhere I go!
Have a nice week!

Phoenix C. said...

Thank you Malyss. There is certainly scope for years and years of finding more and more interesting benches!

I hope you have a nice week too!

Rob (ourfrenchgarden) said...

I agree, I like the 'stressed' effect.

Phoenix C. said...

It's unusual, isn't it, Rob. I've not noticed any other benches with this surface finish - will probably see loads now!

Diane AZ said...

Interesting post! I love the last shot showing the contrast of different textures. I sure do like those snail squiggles. We don't see many snails here in the desert. I thought I had commented on this post a couple of days ago, but maybe I forgot to submit it. :0 Thanks for linking to my blog. Since I read your post, I notice weathered wood wherever I go and find it fascinating. :)

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I'm beginning to get hooked on benches too now as I look at them more closely.

Phoenix C. said...

Hi Diane - I'm glad you're now enjoying looking at weathered wood!

I hadn't thought that there would be no snails in the desert! I've just come home on a very hot, misty night after a day of thunderstorms and had to carefully step around dozens of snails all over the garden path and doorsteps!

Phoenix C. said...

Ackworth born - I guess there'll soon be a bench rehab somewhere!